Criminal Defense, Family Law, Personal Injury and More Serving Anne Arundel, Prince George’s, Calvert, Queen Anne’s,
Howard, Baltimore County and City and Surrounding Counties

Child Support Lawyer in Anne Arundel County

Crofton Divorce Attorney with 29 Years' Experience

Maryland courts will ascertain the amount of child support to be paid by a former spouse or partner using the Child Support Guidelines. Whether you need assistance in coming up with a child support agreement, need to modify a current agreement, or need an existing agreement to be enforced, the Crofton child support attorneys at Trunnell Law, LLC can aggressively represent your best interests during this time.

When you are going through a divorce, especially one with sensitive issues such as child custody and support, you need a law firm with experience. At Trunnell Law, LLC we have over 30 years of combined experience practicing family and divorce law. This means we know how divorce court operates and how to ensure our clients are treated fairly throughout the process.

How is child support determined?

Essentially, whichever parent has primary physical custody of the child is the one who will be receiving child support. Several factors are considered when the amount of child support is being determined.

Some of the main factors judges will consider include:

  • The total income of both parents
  • Child care expenses, such as daycare, activities, and school
  • Health insurance expenses
  • Extraordinary medical expenses not covered by insurance
  • Each parent's ability to work
  • Any additional needs of the child

Parents are obligated to support their children until they reach the age of 18. However, when parents separate, only one will typically receive primary custody. That means the other parent will not be supporting them throughout their daily life. For this reason, one parent will be required to pay child support to help maintain the care and financial stability they once had.

Our Anne Arundel County family lawyers can review your situation and advocate for a fair support agreement on your behalf. Call our firm today to discuss your case.